Monday, May 25, 2009

Goldfinches & a Mocking Bird Sighting

We had our first Mockingbird visit of the year today! Mocking birds are VERY special birds to me. My mom had a Mockingbird visit every winter for a few years in a row. She named him Mickey. He would come to the kitchen window and eat the cornmeal/peanut butter/lard balls (forget what they were called) she would put out for him. He LOVED that stuff! And he was just the cutest thing! I absolutely love Mockingbirds, their personalities are priceless. It was so very fitting that this Mocker came by today, being Memorial Day. It really helped me remember my mother. I am so glad it stopped by and shared some of its antics with us. And its singing was just beautiful. It was the loudest bird on our property by far! When I first heard the plethora of bird songs this morning I just knew who was here! I was so excited when I spotted our Mocker. It was so much fun watching it fly around, diving and flying up and flashing its pretty wings. Unfortunately I did not get a pic so hopefully it will return and maybe if we are lucky we will have a nester!

Here are a couple pics of goldfinches in the meantime. Not too great, but now I have them documented! =)

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful bird pictures and what I great tribute to your mom! These are really great. I'm now inspired to start some bird spotting myself...I did catch a robin bathing in our pond a couple of days ago, which was so cute. That reminds me, I meant to post the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant what A great tribute. Darn typing fingers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-found you through VGNO!

    What a cool blog- what a show of love

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your mockingbird comes back. :-)

    ReplyDelete